Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Darfur

The reason I write about Darfur here is because I don't want it to turn into another Rwanda. My intentions are not to be preachy, but I hope that if enough people got together maybe we would be able to put an end to the killings, and physical violence against women.

Following are the pictures taken by a Harvard student who travelled to Darfur with Mia Farrow in August. I am not trying to evoke pity for these photographed refugees, I just strongly believe that their sacrifices need to be told. The poverty and famine in Africa shouldn't be the expected reality. Shouldn't be theirs and ours legacy.

Chad-Darfur Border

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, while the US and other Western nations have no vested interest in the Sudan, I would at least feel a little more invigorated had the same Arab nations that cry afoul for their own sovereign rights were not sitting idly and apathetically as this genocide ravages at their own feet.

Zany said...

No you are right.

I actually touched upon that in my first Darfur post here. Arab countries have made generous donations to build mosques in Sudan, but have not done anything to protect the refugees. It seems the only thing they are good for is building mosques. They do the same in Northern Pakistan.